Sunday, May 27, 2018

MAY 2018: WHAT’S UP AT TUCK?



BY LUKE ANTHONY PEÑA  May 09, 2018 
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS AND FINANCIAL AID
Happy May, friends! May is a fascinating time for me and my Admissions colleagues, as we balance looking at both the present and the future. We’re still working to evaluate, select, and enroll great T’20s, as we fill the final seats in the class. At the same time, we’re gearing up to travel the world and meet you and aspiring T’21s in the coming months. We’re also working on revising and refreshing significant parts of our evaluation process and timeline. So let’s take a look at what’s happening!

WHAT’S UP AT TUCK?
There’s incredible enthusiasm at Tuck about our capital campaign for tomorrow’s wise leaders. This ambitious $250 million campaign is part of Dartmouth’s $3 billion campaign, and will strengthen our people, programs, and places. Each of these priorities advances our mission, and enhances your opportunities to contribute and thrive as a student. You may be most immediately interested in the commitment to growing our scholarship resources. I recognize that financing your MBA is an important consideration. If you want to be at Tuck, I want you to have the financial resources you need to be here. I’m thrilled that the campaign will bring us closer to that goal. I hope you’re excited about how the campaign will better equip you to be successful at Tuck and beyond. Don’t just take my word for it, hear how Dean Matt Slaughter and our students describe it.

WHAT’S UP IN ADMISSIONS?
My colleagues and I want your Tuck application experience to be as enjoyable and stress-free as possible. One of the least enjoyable, most stressful parts: the wait. I don’t want you waiting for your admissions decision any longer than necessary. So the team and I looked at our admissions rounds, and one number jumped out…100. That’s the number of days between our November round application deadline, and when we give you a decision—the longest wait of any round at any of our peer schools! We can do better. You’re hearing it here first. We’re “sun setting” the “applicant-unfriendly” November round. We’ll now offer three admission rounds with more applicant-friendly turnaround times: one in late September, one in early January, and one in early April. We’re saying goodbye to the “Early Action” designation in our first round, which is no longer early and required a higher enrollment deposit from you. And our rounds named for months? We’re simplifying that too. You’ll now apply in Round 1, Round 2, or Round 3. Exact dates are coming soon—I’ll have them for you here in June!

WHAT’S UP WITH ME?
Admissions directors assess your professional trajectory and impact, but we need our own career growth and development too. Later this month, I’m participating in Tuck’s Leadership and Strategic Impact program, supported by Tuck Executive Education and our great faculty. Why share this with you? I want you to know how important lifelong learning is to contributing and thriving at the Tuck School, both for administrators like me and for aspiring students like you. When my colleagues and I read applications, we’re looking for evidence of your hunger and desire to grow and improve. This goes beyond others’ recognizing and rewarding your performance; it reflects your active pursuit of growth opportunities. If your organization offers professional development and leadership programs, build the case for your inclusion! If organizational opportunities are limited, find coaching and mentorship through your broader network. Professional development helps us all provide better service to our clients, good leadership to our teams, and increases our confidence in what we know while remaining humble about what we do not. I assure you that you’ll be a stronger applicant and a more prepared leader when you commit to your growth and development.

Speaking of commitment, I’m making a renewed commitment to be more active on Twitter. Follow me there if you want to see what I’m thinking in between blog posts, or to connect with me directly. See you there, or back here in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment