UC-Berkeley’s Haas School of Business moved back its round one MBA application deadline this year by nearly a week to Sept. 27. That is a full six days later than last year’s Sept. 21st cutoff, yet candidates will only get a final admissions decision from the school a day earlier than last year.
Haas set a round two MBA deadline of Jan. 10, with decisions due on March 14th. The round three and final cutoff date is April 4th, with decisions posted May 9th. All applications must be submitted on or before the application deadline at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
For Consortium candidates, the school released two rounds of deadlines. The first is Oct. 15, with decisions posted on Dec. 13th, while the second is Jan. 5, with decisions due March 14th.
Haas does not reveal a specific date for invitations to do an admissions interview. Those interviews are disclosed to candidates as the school’s admissions committee reviews the applications and then offers interviews both on-campus and in cities around the world.
The school also issued its required two essays for 2018-2019 applicants. They include:
1. Tell us a six-word story that reflects a memorable experience in your life-to-date. Elaborate on why it is meaningful to you. (300 words maximum)
2. Briefly describe your immediate post-MBA career goal, and discuss how it will put you on a path to a meaningful and rewarding career. (300 words maximum)
Haas also invites applicants to submit optional information on a variety of topics to help admissions staff better understand the context of your opportunities and achievements.
Haas Class Size: 284
Last year’s class size rose from 252 to 284 students – the school’s largest class ever. This coming year, Haas is aiming to get closer to 300 students.
Acceptance Rate: 12%
The program attracted 4,132 applications during the 2017-2018 cycle, another high that eclipses the Class of 2011’s mark of 4,064. Overall, the acceptance rate stood near 12%.
Average GMAT: 725
- Up eight points from the previous year and higher than Columbia Business Schol.
GMAT Range: 640 to 780.
Average GPA: 3.71
- Much higher than the 3.62-3.66 range over the nine years.
Average TOEFL score: 110, with a mid-80% range of 104 to 115.
Tips for admission
1. Articulate both what you think you will get out of business school (the first 50%) and what unique passions or talents you will contribute to the Haas community (the second 50%).
2. Also, every single application question and essay is precious real estate, so don’t waste a word.
3. Understand the Defining Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself.
4. Show passion and initiative.